Monday, January 14, 2008

Mythos: Back In It

A helpful person popped up in the comments the other day, bringing some much needed help for those of us trying to play Mythos and suffering from inexplicable errors when trying to connect to the server. And I thought I'd flag it up for your attention.

It's good advice but, sadly, nothing I hadn't already tried before. I'd connected and disconnected components of my network, tried any and all configurations of firewalls and other protections, and was left, in the end, simply waiting for the same port information from the developers that has, as far as I know, not been forthcoming. Never thought to write the devs myself and, whatever thread new pal Bill has thus far escaped my baleful gaze or it was lost in the last wipe. But, evidence suggest if you're having trouble with your network and not getting through that it's a viable route.

Still, that comment did remind me that I hadn't tried to fire up that game in a little while. Busy with other games, with the holidays, with projects of my own, you know how it goes.

Loaded up the client. Entered my password. Grabbed the latest patch. Entered my information again, fully expecting to see the same old crash. But lo and behold, it worked. The character creation screen loaded up. I was finally in.

Only took a few months. But it's been worth the wait. Wish I could say it was something I did, some network feature I've changed or solution I applied. But, nope, worked the first time, before I got around to trying my latest solution. Go figure.

Didn't have much time to play tonight. I did manage to roll up my first character. A Human Blood Letter, named "Sausaletus" in case you're playing yourself and need a name for your buddy list. I spent a few minutes doing the introductory quest which sends you on an assassination mission of a named villain in a ruined church, pretty much confirming its status as a Diablo clone, and then running to the nearest town before I logged out. Earned enough XP to level, and busied myself weaving threads of ruinously arcane power into raising my enemies as shambling abominations, lurching slowly but inexorably off to wreck bloody chaos upon my foes, crackling gleefully all the while. It's the simple pleasures in life, really.

That's all I've done, really. Had some other stuff to get done, wanted to write some stuff since I haven't in a while. Now, I need to refamiliarize myself with the game, figure out what I'm doing, read up on the forums and guides that are available. Since I'm passing along helpful stuff here, I'll also point out this online skill calculator, which lets your preview skills and fiddle with builds to your hearts content. I'm sure it and I are going to be good friends in the coming days.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to jit.

No comments: